Monday, January 14, 2008

The Greatness of Tarheel Basketball

As I travelled through the darkness and gloom that accompanied this years UNC football season I remained faithful to the Heels and still optimistic as to what my man Butch is going to do for the Carolina football program. I would aliken my optimism to that of the fabled phoenix as it rises from the ashes- there will come a day when UNC will be a football contender (at least I hope). With that being said, like many of my UNC brethren I waited with baited breath for the true Carolina sport to begin this past fall, that is the machine that is UNC basketball! As most fans, this year came with great anticipation for another possible title run due to the return of an amazing nucleus of players; ranging from one Tyler Hansbrough to the unforeseen contribution of Danny Green. From the first tip off of the preseason until this past weekends "behind the shed tail whooping" of NC State, I have been highly impressed with UNC's ability to find ways to win ballgames. They have had their share of blowouts, but they have also been tested by teams with programs on the competitive horizon like Davidson, UNCA and the Purple Nurples from Death Valley. The one thing that has stood out to me about this years team is that in any given game any of a plethora of players can step up and lead the Tarheels to victory. We all expect Psycho T to get his numbers game in and game out, but I have been so impressed with the rise of Danny Green as the 6th man as well as the awe-striking performance that Wayne the Duke of Ellington put on against the Tigers. This team has proven to be unselfish with the ball and genuinely play as if the names on the back of the jerseys are insignificant in comparison to the name on the front. The Heels are off to a 17-0 start and Roy has the boys poised for a clear title run like a well-oiled machine. I am realistic and think that the Heels may hit a snag and drop a game or two during the tough ACC schedule, but I firmly believe they are the most well rounded and complete team out there. I will give props to Memphis and Kansas because they have some skills, but the Heels seem to be a rung higher on the ladder. As long as the Heels keep being team centered and seek to distribute the wealth and the glory come March I see ole' Roy snipping another net and the Heels putting another National Championship banner in the Dean Dome.

4 comments:

Holly said...

yippeeeeeeeeee! you have a blog. congratulations. i'm glad we'll get to see more of ma and the boys. love y'all.

Marc said...

"behind the shed tail whooping" of NC State,"
Ouch!
Actually it wasn't behind the shed, it was in front of everyone!

Welcome to blog land, hope you have thick skin!

justin said...

In the great tradition of first comments, I shall offer you a take on our first comment:

"What's Uncled Ford?"

(Go heels.)

Ryan said...

There is only one Carolina football, and that is the team dressed in Garnet and Black.

ya'll can have basketball. trust me, we have no claim to that name...