Friday, October 14, 2011

Seeing...red???

It's almost humerous how your self control flies out the window as you hormones increase; or at least that's what I've found to be true in the final days of this pregnancy.

"Do you know what you're having?" has been a common question as of late. I usually respond with "yes, a girl," smile politely, and leave it at that. I get a variety of reactions, but there is one question that has been surprisingly popular that has me really agitated:

"Shew, aren't you glad?!"

I hate that! It ranks right up there with "Wow, you look like you are about to pop. When are you due?!" or "You sure there's only one in there?!"

What are they really asking and how am I supposed to answer..."yes, I am really glad it's NOT a boy!" Or, "yes, I will feel complete now that I FINALLY have a girl!"

Is there something wrong with boys that I don't know about? Is my family broken or incomplete without a little girl?

I am thrilled to be having a girl. I am excited about the unknown, the pink frills, and the hope of the mother/daughter comeraderie I share with my own mom. I can't wait to see my husband go goo-goo in the palm of this baby, dance with her, and eventually walk her down the aisle.

However, I love my boys and would not trade them or the lessons they've taught me for anything! Yes, they are smelly. They are very loud. They make a mess, play with bugs, and drag in dirt. They play games that I find ridiculous or complicated. They pass gas and grunt. I'm not convinced they will ever flush without being reminded EVERYtime.

But they give awesome hugs, help me carry heavy things, and appreciate my femininity. They take responsibility for "yucky" chores around my house. They defend me mightily, even if they have to stand up to their dad. I love watching my husband wrestle and play the "knock-down game" with them, take them to the hardware store, and teach them about being godly men.

Raising boys is way out of my comfort zone. I question myself hourly and often feel like a failure. But I am so grateful for how God has used these precious humans in my life. That He has chosen me to be their mom. That He continues to refine me daily through their little lives.

So, yes, I am grateful for the little girl that will be joining our family in a few short days and all of the lessons that experience will bring. But it certainly doesn't trump the past 6+ years that I've had the pleasure of being the mom to boys.

No comments: