Monday, February 28, 2011

Carla's Cakes???

I have been dappling in the cake world for some time now, but it hasn't been much more than squeaking something out for my own kids' birthdays.  Until lately, that is. I have recently had the pleasure of making a few cakes for some great friends who placed incredible trust in my experiments.  I am no pro, far from it, but I enjoy stressing over, planning out and decorating cakes.

Here are some of the latest (forgive the picture quality: these are from my phone...)

a 1st Birthday cake for a precious little boy who has already learned to love the remote.
 (His mama had to write Happy Birthday on the cake because I was SCARED!)


My first attempt at both a character that didn't come from a shaped pan as well as writing!


a Valentine's Book Club treat for a friend - complete with a marshmallow heart border!



A baby shower cake for a friend who happened to deliver just a few days later!



I have discovered that I really enjoy being able to give cakes to friends knowing that I created something special for them.  The catch is I never really know how the thing is gonna turn out.  I mean, I kinda just make it up as I go and hope for the best.  And it takes me forever! {I credit some of that to lack of skill and the rest to my being a perfectionist.}

So, I have decided to bite the bullet and will be embarking on the official Wilton cake decorating journey - I start my beginners class next week and I confess, I'm a little nervous! At least at home, I can stress out in the privacy of my own kitchen.   I will now be in the company of other students as well as a very experienced teacher who will be hovering over me and watching my make-shift techniques.  I am hoping to learn more efficient ways to decorate and maybe some cool new tricks.

The pressure is on, friends.  Taste-testers get ready!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful cakes, Carla! I have always attempted but not with those results!
Grammy